Wednesday, November 24, 2010




DAY 24 OF THANKFULNESS: A GROCERY SHOPPING HUBBY




I usually enjoy grocery shopping.

Really.

I like it for two main reasons.

First of all, I am a foodie. I love learning about it, cooking it, eating it, and even making decisions concerning buying it.

Second, it is one of the few things I can actually spend money on and not feel guilty about or have to justify to the family budget. After all, we have to eat. We do NOT have to have that beautiful, aqua-blue, butterfly-festooned scarf or those cute little, knicky-knack things for sale at Cracker Barrel.

That said, I do not always want to go grocery shopping.

I do not like to go to the grocery store when it is raining. I am a wimp and don't like getting wet...makes the big hair go flat, don't'cha know.

I do not like to go grocery shopping with a million of my blessing children.

I do not like to go grocery shopping when I have to leave my nice, cozy house and my family and go out by myself at night just for that sole purpuse...unless I am desperate for a break but as my kids get older, those times are rarer and rarer.

I do not like to go to the grocery store when I'd much rather be taking a nap.

That is where my amazing man comes in.

My husband is willing to shop for me. In fact, he is gone right now shopping with my son for an upcoming Boy Scout trip --- his second grocery excursion of the day. He went Krogering for me this afternoon to pick up the last minute things needed for Thanksgiving that we didn't get last night.

Yep, that's right. He went shopping last night, too. I had been procrastinating buying the remaining Thanksgiving feast ingredients as I'm wont to do, but knew I had to get it done yesterday if I was going to get the second turkey bought and thawed in time. I had already been out with the little kids for our yogurt outing and run other errands. I really, really did not want to go two days before Thanksgiving to a crowded Kroger with 4 under-the-age-of-10 children. It also was raining. And I also wanted a nap. There were 3 out of the 4 reasons I use for NOT wanting to go grocery shopping. It was the perfect shopping storm.

BUT, brilliance hit as it often does in desperate times.

I called up the hubby and asked him to go with me that night. I sweetened the deal with the promise of a dinner date out first.

My husband's love language is quality time and, no immodesty intended, I am his favorite love and favorite person to spend quality time with. So it was an easy sell and after I had fixed a pot of split pea soup for the kids and gave grilled-cheese-sandwich-making-lessons to the 17 year old, it was off to McAlister's for Holiday Panini sandwiches (SO SCRUMPTIOUS) before hitting the aisles of Kroger.

Two hours later, we had bagfuls of cranberry sauce, marshmallows, sweet taters, Brussel sprouts, and a hulk-of-a-turkey among various other seasonal goodies along with another evening of good couple-time to show for it.


I love my man. I could go on and on about all the aspects of Jim that make me thankful to have him for a husband, but on this Thanksgiving Eve of 2010, I am especially grateful that he is not only willing to be the bread winner, but the bread buyer as well.

No comments: