Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WANT YOU TO KNOW WHAT I DIDN'T

At We Will Go, we try to keep it simple. We don't want to get worried about the things that would distract us from what God's called us to do. We don't want to argue theology or get caught up in too many policies and procedures. We try to follow closely the essentials of the Christian faith and live out this verse that hangs in our worship pavilion:

 Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’   No other commandment is greater than these.”  --- Mark 12: 29-31

P7180064 Betsie at We Will Go edited

Sometimes I look back at my life and am filled with regret that all too often I thought Christianity was all about just being good, you know, the rules and regulations.

Yes, because I love Him, I want to obey Him.  I want to please Him.  He's set in place principles that are for my own good--- and the good of others --- because He loves us so much.

But I wish I'd discovered a lot earlier how crazy amazing He is. He loves me not because I'm good but because I'm His. The plans He has for me are mind-blowing, so much more than I could ever plan for myself.

He's teaching me more and more that being a "good witness" isn't all about what I "don't do" but what I DO! It is loving those He brings into my life, especially those who have been rejected or forgotten about. It is praying for healing and wholeness for those hurting. It is dancing and singing in His presence just because I'm in love with Him. It is doing for others what I would want done for me if I were in need. It is extending grace because I was first extended grace. It is offering mercy because He was merciful to me. It is speaking words of truth and encouragement to those hungry for a message from God. It is trusting God to do BIG things because He is a BIG God. It is letting His Spirit flow out of me to the world around me so I'm doing the things that Jesus did.  It is speaking life and light into dead and dark places and situations.

I wish I'd known this during my teenage, college, and young adult years. I had a good life, but in most ways, it was pretty selfish. My walk with the Lord was so superficial. I think about all the opportunities I missed to really be Jesus for those around me. 

A few years ago, I went back to my college campus for a couple of days.  Before entering the cafeteria, I prayed that God would lead me to who I was supposed to connect with.  Before the meal was over, I met three students.  To make a long story short, they were committed Christians who were seeking to reach the campus for their Lord.  We ended up, right there in the dining hall, praying together.  Out loud.  Holding hands.  I am ashamed to admit it, but that was the first time I'd ever done such a thing on that college campus.  For the whole four years I was a student, I only remember praying at official ministry functions.  I hate to think of the many chances I missed to pray for a sick friend's healing, ask the Lord to guide someone as they made an important decision, or speak a blessing over a roommate as they started a new job, or left on a trip.

I want the rest of my life to be different. I want to be radically used by my radical God. I want every person who knows me to see Jesus. I don't want them to reject God's plans for their life because they never knew any Christians walking out a real faith.  I don't want to be a "private faith" Christian who was too selfish or snotty or insecure or scared or self-righteous to love them in the ways that the Lord would have me love them.

If you don't know Jesus and want to know Him, I'd be glad to talk to you about Him. He's not who  all too many of us act like He is, like my actions and attitudes made Him out to be.

And if you do know Jesus but feel burdened down by never being good enough, never being strong enough, never feeling like you're making a difference in the world, I'd be glad to talk to you, too.

God, the REAL GOD, not the twisted image we've created way too often, loves you. He is passionate about you. He wants to be the Father you need Him to be. He wants to give you a life that is more incredible than you can ever imagine. He wants you to be freed from past hurts. He wants you to be victorious over addictions. He wants you to walk in fullness and glory and light and love and purpose.

We're not promised that it will always be easy. Jesus' life here on this earth certainly was not. But He does promise that when you give your life to Him, NOTHING can separate you from His love. He also promises that He'll use EVERYTHING, even the hard times, for your good. He'll be there with you til the end and then beyond. He'll be with you forever.

It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: