Monday, August 29, 2011

AT ANY COST

"The faithfulness of God is the only certain thing in the world today. We need not fear the result of trusting Him" --- John Stam



John Stam and his wife Betty served as missionaries in China where, in 1934, they were beheaded for their faith and their obedience to God. They were only in their late twenties. They left behind an infant daughter who was rescued after Betty hid Helen in a sleeping bag when they were on their way to be executed.

Another missionary, Daniel Smith, noted that "they were roughly handled, stripped of their outward clothing, painfully bound, and publicly beheaded. They died – but not without the comfort and support of the Lord, and not without the light of life shining through the darkest circumstances life could bring."

Just a decade before, 18 year old Betty wrote this prayer to the God she loved and served ---

"Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes all my own desires and hopes and accept Thy will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to Thee to be Thine forever. Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt, send me where Thou wilt and work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost now and forever."

Reading about the Stams humbles and convicts me. So often I let fears, even silly fears, keep me from being bold for God. I let petty worries keep me from giving it all to Him. I pray that I would be willing to face death and sacrifice with such peace and grace because of my love for Him and for those He loves...those He has called His church to tell.

*********************

To learn more about the life of John and Betty Stam, read this convocation address given by Don Akin, President of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary: http://www.danielakin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Psalm-67-The-Missionary-Psalm-Beautifully-Obeyed-in-the-Life-and-Martyrdom-of-John-and-Betty-Stam-Manuscript-ds.pdf



No comments: