Saturday, December 11, 2010

FOOD AND BOOKS --- A DELICIOUS COMBINATION!

Stick around Graceland for even a short bit of time, and you learn that besides Africa, I also love books and food. So, I thought a fun series would be based on that premise. I'll be featuring a handful of authors and one of their favorite recipes.

The first author to grace us with her cooking creativity is Tricia Goyer. Tricia is a wife, mom of four, and award-winning author. She has twenty-five books and 300 articles in print, including Life Interrupted, a Gold Medallion finalist. Tricia lives in Little Rock, Arkansas where she mentors teen moms. Tricia can be found on-line on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.triciagoyer.com .



Tricia says, "I want to live the type of life I write about. I feel it doesn't matter if I get inspiring words on paper unless I'm serving those God puts in my path!"

And one way Tricia is serving us is with this yummy recipe. Enjoy!

TACO SOUP

• 2 pounds ground beef
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 can pinto (or kidney) beans
• 2 cans chili beans
• 1 can whole kernel corn
• 1 can white corn
• 2 cans Mexi-corn
• 1 can stewed tomatoes - Mexican style
• 1 can Rotel tomatoes
• 1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
• 1 pkg. original Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing

PREPARATION:

Brown ground beef and onions in a large pan, drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients (do not drain any of the cans) and simmer for an hour or so. When ready, serve in big soup bowls with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, salsa and sour cream.

Tricia says:

"Note, this recipe can have substitutes too. For example, my family doesn’t like onions, so I usually don’t use them. You can add whatever beans you like. I just use what’s in my cupboard. It’s the same with the corn and tomatoes. Sometimes if I don’t have Rotel, I’ll just throw in a can of green chilies for flavor. Some people serve it with cornbread instead of tortilla chips. You really can’t mess it up!"

No comments: