Tuesday, April 17, 2007


AGREE ON JESUS

I love some of Anne Lamott and Tony Campolo's writing. And I love their hearts. We might not agree on every point of doctrine, and we definitely didn't vote the same in the last presidential election, but we can agree on some very important matters of the heart. Daily I listen to a very conservative Bible teacher via the internet. Steve Brown is a longtime, true fried of Tony Campolo's and he's the one who introduced me to the writings of Anne Lamott. Steve said that he was talking to Anne once about how different they were and Anna basically said "but we can agree on how much we love Jesus".

Sometimes things that are important, really important, come between us. And unfortunately, we can let things that are really NOT important come between us as well. When its all said and done, all of us who go by the name of "Christian" should be able to agree on some of the basics of the heart...that Jesus is SO good, that we need Him SO badly, and that His love and grace knows no bounds.

Donald Miller is a brother I'd like to introduce to you. For some of you, he'd be one that you'd naturally mix with. You probably hang in the same places, speak the same lingo, read the same kind of books, and watch the same kinds of movies. You'd probably both even show up at the same protest events holding signs with similar sentiments.

For the majority of you reading my blog, you probably WOULDN'T easily run into Miller. Or if you did, like me, you'd probably make prejudicial judgements based on outward appearances, the language he uses, or 2 or 3 facts that might come up first in the conversation. I'd probably wrongly jump to the conclusion that we could have NOTHING in common worth mentioning and a relationship wouldn't be worth pursuing.

But oh how wrong I would be...and probably some of you would be just as wrong. Though Donald Miller is my polar opposite on so many issues, we both agree on Jesus. And that amazing thing called grace.

A wise and talented young blogger, a high school homeschooler in fact, has written a very insightful entry about Donald Miller and others like him. I hope you'll take the time to read it. It was a blessing to me and a reminder that we are all looking for a place of rest and freedom, a place that I call Graceland....and apparently, so does Donald Miller.

http://fire-in-mine-ears.blogspot.com/2006/08/donald-miller-survives.html#links

Recommended books by the above mentioned authors:

Anne Lamott---TRAVELING MERCIES: SOME THOUGHTS ON FAITH; PLAN B: FURTHER THOUGHTS ON GRACE

Tony Campolo---ITS FRIDAY, BUT SUNDAY'S COMING; KINGDOM OF GOD IS A PARTY; HOW TO BE PENTECOSTAL WITHOUT SPEAKING IN TONGUES

Donald Miller---BLUE LIKE JAZZ

1 comment:

wordygirl said...

Well said, Elysa! I've been stretched my Donald Miller and Anne Lamott and am growing up in Jesus in the process.