Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A FIRST FOR FAITH

Today, we had another first here at our new home, The Faith House at We Will Go Ministries. Ever since Jim and I got married over twenty years ago, homemade biscuits have been part of our food tradition. My mother-in-law taught me how to make them and I've, in turn, taught my oldest girls how to make them. Now, I've made them here in inner-city Jackson.

First biscuits made in our new home.

Here at We Will Go, we're definitely all about being family, commemorating milestones, and celebrating holidays together. We especially love the holidays that are centered on God and His goodness.

Thanksgiving is right up there in the top for holidays focused on just that.

On Sunday, Crossgates Baptist Church folks brought a turkey and dressing dinner for us to serve after our worship service. Tonight, the on-base missionaries plus a few others in our ministry family had a special Thanksgiving meal. Thursday, we'll be having another one for our extended We Will Go family (many of whom are homeless folks or neighbors who don't have a biological family to share the day with), and after that lunch, our family will be celebrating with my mom and my brother's family.

Four Thanksgiving meals.

Yep, four.

I could really get used to this.

I also love the many reminders to stop and take time to say thanks to the Lord for His goodness and blessings.  Too often, I let myself get so busy or stressed or just wrapped up in shallow pursuits that I forget to dwell on how incredible God is -- that His mercy endures forever and that He, because of His powerful awesomeness, is able to take even the bad things in this life and use them for my good and His glory.   Some of His blessings are obvious --- a faithful husband, healthy children, plenty to eat --- and others can sometimes only be best appreciated in hind sight.

But whether they are easy circumstances to praise Him in or whether they are challenges that require us to choose to worship Him, because He is our perfect and loving God, He always deserves our trusting thankfulness.

And today, I am thankful that He has called our little, big family to live on this corner of Jackson and share our lives and love with those around us.  Sometimes, that looks like biscuits being baked in a former crack-house kitchen.

No comments: