Wednesday, January 20, 2010

REMEMBERING A SISTER LOST TOO SOON


I don't have any "by birth" sisters. Growing up, I loved my brother. As brothers go, he was a really great one. But still, I wished for a sister. When I went to Mississippi University for Women and pledged the Troubadour Social Club, I was given an entire sisterhood. Over the years, new girls have pledged the club and the tiny spark of Troubadour love has united us despite differences in ages, background, and even color. In Troubs, we were all true blue. Some of the new girls I've gotten to spend lots of time with, others I just know through facebook or photos. But regardless of how much we have been around each other in person, we are still sisters. I can walk on that MUW campus on any given day and be welcomed back to the family. The W is a small college and so the students are tight-knit on the whole. And the social clubs are an even smaller, more intimate group of friends.

This past weekend, four MUW students were killed in a fire at a Birmingham, Alabama, area hotel. One of them was a Troubadour baby, Jamelia Brown. Though I hadn't had the chance to spend much time with Jamelia, she was still family. She's a W-Girl and a Troubadour.

My heart hurts over the news and breaks for the MUW students and on-campus Troubadours who are dealing with intense heartbreak this week. I have wept tears along with them for a beautiful girl who we will never see again on this side of eternity.

During this time of mourning, I am reminded that we have no promise of tomorrow. It has caused me to hug my babies extra times this week and tell them how much I love them and how glad I am that they are mine.

It also motivates me to remind those in my life that there is a God who loves them, who wants to be in relationship with them, and wants to give them a life of worth, not of regrets, no matter how short or long it is.

God loved the world SO much that He gave His only begotten son Jesus that if we believe in Him, we will not perish, but have everlasting life!

Believe in Him, friend. I want to spend that everlasting life with God and with YOU!



Praying for Jamelia's family and friends, the MUW community, and her Troubadour Sisters,
Elysa

No comments: