Wednesday, January 13, 2010

AN ORDINARY MAN, AN EXTRAORDINARY STORY





I have just finished reading AN ORDINARY MAN, the true story behind the movie HOTEL RWANDA, and I highly recommend it. As much as I am interested in Africa, I haven't watched HOTEL RWANDA because I didn't think I could handle some of the explicit harshness of it. But AN ORDINARY MAN tells the story but it is done in such a way, that while it doesn't whitewash the events at all, was more on the level that I needed.

If you're not familiar with story, the basic summary is that a hotel manager,
Paul Rusesabagina, was able to save the lives of over a thousand people during the 1994 Rwandan genocide through diplomacy, wisdom, and downright cheeky pluck. While hundreds of thousands were being massacarred, not a single person seeking refuge in Rusesabagina's hotel was killed.

Read AN ORDINARY MAN and be challenged to be the difference that is needed somewhere in this world. For as Rusesabagina says, "people are the ones who can change what they want to change"...even very ordinary ones.

No comments: