Monday, September 08, 2008

STUCK BETWEEN A CATERPILLAR AND A BUTTERFLY
.
My beautifully talented daughter wrote this at her blog and I wanted to share it here. As I post it, she's playing THE ENTERTAINER at breakneck speed on the piano. I love that girl. She's so much fun to share life with.
.
"When we were children, everything was spelled out for us. We knew the rules and we followed them without question. We went through each day the same, testing out mudpie recipes, catching grasshoppers, picking flowers that will wilt in a second to give to our mothers, and then being tucked in. It was pretty much ignorance and bliss.
.
But now I'm older and I have a lot of questions. And my days aren't filled with catching grasshoppers or feasting on mudpies anymore. I'm in that stage where I'm stuck between a caterpillar and a butterfly. I've made my cacoon but I haven't immerged yet as a radiant new creature. I'm still a little of the old me, but I'm also a little of the new me. I'm split between and time is running out for me to be neutril. Things have changed and I need to figure things out. I still, thankfully, have my childhood imagination, I haven't lost that, yet, to the sensible way adult's think. I'm still me. But, I'm not.
.
Just this Spring people could pass me up as an eleven year old sunshinee girl, but now postladies are asking me if I'm the eldest over my fourteen year old sister (yeah, she wasn't happy about that).
.
I have a lot of questions without answers, I have a lot of ideas and dreams that I can't fulfill because I'm too young. I'm stuck in the middle and I don't know how to get out. "
.

.

To read more of daughter B's writings, visit her blog at http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/BelieveinDreams .

.

3 comments:

Drewe Llyn said...

That was very, very well written and a beautiful description of life's struggles at her age. I do believe that girl is going places! I hope she doesn't forget I knew her when...

Ronette said...

Beautiful! I very well remember those feelings and my now 12 year old daughter can relate to them well!

Karen Deborah said...

I've always known she was special. What a great description of the feelings of youth. Time will happen fast enough. Tell her to keep writing and recording her thoughts she is gifted.