Saturday, September 27, 2008


GOD IS MORE THAN ABLE AND WILLING
.
As my regular Graceland visitors know, my oldest daughter is returning to Swaziland next summer to minister primarily to children whose lives have been horrifically affected by HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty. My regular visitors also know that I'm obsessed with doing what I can to help the children and their care providers even if I can't physically be there.
.
Today, my oldest daughter and I had the chance to set up a booth at a local arts and crafts day as part a local town festival. I've been selling our handcrafted GraceWorks jewelry for about a year now to both raise support money for missions trips and to benefit ministries to the Swazi people. Before, I've always just sold at church or to friends or through friends. This was the first time we'd gone out to sell our stuff to strangers and I honestly didn't know what to expect. I knew that I wanted at least to make enough money to make the registration fee of $12.50 (I split the booth space and price with a pal from church) and gas money worth shelling out. I was paying for those expenses willingly out of my pocket as an investment into this aspect of ministry.
.
And I can tell you this, my investment paid off much higher than most investments are paying off on Wall Street these days.
.
I'm very sunburned from the 8 hours in the hot sun, but also very happy about the $200 we made today!!!!
.
And let me tell you...this was a GOD thing! That $200 was more than the two booths next to us made COMBINED! Folks just weren't buying much at all today in general. Ours was mostly bought by children (with their mamas and grandmas toting the money) and teenagers who loved all the bracelets selling anywhere from 25 cents to 5 or 6 dollars. We also sold beautifully, handstitched pillows that a friend made to donate to the cause and Timbali Swazi purses. These purses are made by the Swazi women who feed the children at some of the Adventures in Missions carepoints! WOO-HOO!
.
God is more than able and willing to provide!
.
Tomorrow I'll be selling more at church. And if any of you know me "in real life" and are interested in a purse, handmade pillow, or some jewelry, just let me know!
.
OH! I was also able to tell a lot of people about the ministries of Children's HopeChest, A Child's Hope, and Adventures In Missions. Plus, I've probably lined up some speaking engagements.
.
God is so good and I'm so thankful to be a part of His amazing plans!
.

3 comments:

Christi Bowman said...

AWESOME Elysa!!

jodes said...

That's wonderful!! Have you considered selling them online? I'm new to your blog, so maybe you already do.... This year I am about 'gifts that give back' and I would love to help support you!! Let me know. jody verhagen at yahoo

Rhonda Jeanne said...

WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOO!