Friday, December 14, 2012

WAS AND AM

I have just finished Rolland and Heidi Baker's book MORE THAN ENOUGH about "God's miraculous provision among the poorest children on earth", in this case, Mozambique. The founders of our ministry are good friends with the Bakers and the Lancasters, along with many others who minister here at We Will Go, have spent a lot of time serving in Mozambique with them. So besides the fact that the majority of the book was set in Africa, I was also interested in reading more about the amazing ministry I've already heard so much about. It was a challenging book and really reminds me that my ability to truly minister effectively and for the long term depends on me intimately knowing The Lord and depending on His provision, not my own.

I am now starting Jen Hatmaker's SEVEN, "an experimental mutiny against access". I'll be honest, I am a bit nervous about reading this book. I already struggle with the extreme materialism associated with Christmas here in America because of the extreme poverty I've seen in other parts of the world, but I keep feeling pulled to it, so for better or for worse, I'm plunging in.

No comments: