Tuesday, March 20, 2012

CHANGING YOUR MIND


Our church is going thru 40 days of fasting and praying for break through as we journey towards Easter weekend. Renewing the mind is essential when true change is the goal. Whether it is being set free from addictions or bringing about healing in relationships, the mind can be a battlefield.



P1200022 Resized Merry posterized



L.A. Joiner will be speaking at our church in a couple of weeks. He shares this:


It seems that every new direction requires changing your mind. It has been overstated that "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." Yet a truer statement has not been made. It sounds easy enough but changing your mind is one of the most difficult things. It requireshumility that says, "either I was wrong in the past or what I thought in the past is no longer adequate." Changing your mind takes great courage because if you declare that you are changing your mind you must now take the risk that this new direction might fail. At least I'm surviving in my present state and no one sees me failing. Changing my mind might bring disaster. Of course it might also bring a new success! It also requires faith. You must believe in the new direction and pursue it with passion and conviction.

Our becoming Christians, followers of Jesus began with a decision to change our minds. We make a lot out of the way we see people converted but the most accurate definition is a changed mind. That is what repentance means, changing one's mind. I can't truthfully find a "sinner's prayer" in the Bible. I have seen many, far too many who prayed that cure all prayer and never fulfilled their commitment to Jesus. I have seen others who focused on the act of changing their mind and they have never looked back. The mind change is a powerful force!


My point here is that I have talked a lot of people into saying and praying things that was beyond their mental assent. They didn't stick! Recently someone who loves me was telling me that if I would go to a truly vegetarian diet my health issues would be over and fixed. I thought of all the reasons they were wrong but could find none. I said, "I believe you are right but I'm not willing to pay that price yet"! I still believe they are right but that kind of believing doesn't bring miracles or new fruit. I have to believe and then come to a place of changing my mind about what I am doing.

What areas of your life do you need a change of mind? You understand, you even have faith but you are not ready to change your mind and commit to the new direction or decision. Consider this verse:

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him." --- Phil. 2:13

God is able to give you the very desire that will lead you to obedience through a changed mind. Pray and ask Him to help you today.

To read more by L.A. Joiner, visit his blog: http://lajoiner.blogspot.com/

No comments: