Saturday, May 14, 2011

CONGRATULATIONS CLASS OF 2011

I want to extend congratulations and blessings to all the 2011 graduates, whether it is from college --- like my Troubadour sisters who walked the Mag Chain at MUW --- or from high school --- like the homeschool seniors who walked down the aisles at First Baptist Jackson today.

Graduation is such an exciting time. For years it is a goal worked toward and dreamed about. I remember being a senior both in high school and college many long years ago and feeling as though I couldn't wait to graduate. And then when the day came, it was such a bittersweet experience. The joy and excitement of reaching the goal was obviously evident, but the sadness of saying goodbye was a palatable seasoning to the event. I remember crying and smiling.

And today, as I watched these graduates, I knew that next year I'll be feeling the same.

This time next year, I'll have two daughters who have reached the goal of graduation. Anna plans on finishing up at the end of this coming fall and Betsie will march with her class next May. And I will cry and smile for them as I did for me. As their mom, I will be so proud of all they have achieved and all the exciting adventures that God will have waiting for them. But as their mom, I will cry knowing that things will never be the same again. That they are moving on...and that moving on means moving away.

Oh yes, they'll always be in my heart. Every single day I'll think of them and love them and miss them. They'll always be my girls and I'll always, always, always be here for them. But I've raised them to let them go....let them go to pursue whatever dreams God puts in their hearts, even if those dreams take them far, far away.

So to the Class of 2011, if your mom holds you just a bit tighter and you find her staring at you just a bit longer than usual, just know it is because she remembers. She remembers leaving her family and friends behind and she remembers saying "hello" to you as a baby and how the years she'd have with you seemed like forever.

But you grew up.

And though we mamas are so happy for you, be patient with us as we mourn the passing of a season and excuse us if we act a little clingy or maudlin.

Love and blessings to you all! Hope you enjoy the photos from today's beautiful celebration.















No comments: