Wednesday, April 06, 2011


THINKING ABOUT RESTORATION & RELATIONSHIPS

This was written by Lauren Edens, an amazing twenty-something missionary in Tanzania, Africa:




yesterday i listened to a paul manwarring podcast, and i can’t get this one thought out of my head. he says a biblical example of justice is restoration of relationships. nothing to do with punishment. nothing to do with righting wrongs. just restoration. what does that mean for the kid that hits my nephew on the playground? what does that mean for the husband who cheats on his wife? what does that mean for the girl who has been sold into prostitution? what does that mean for the thief or the liar? what does that mean for me, in all of my failure and sin? it is blowing my mind to think about it. all i want to do is argue. but maybe god’s kingdom does not always make sense. well, usually god’s kingdom does not make sense.

it doesn’t make sense until you consider jesus’ death. his decision to pay a debt he did not owe. his decision to love us.

i’ve listened to this song (hymn) over and over today:

when i survey the wondrous cross
on which the prince of glory died
my richest gain i count but loss
and pour contempt on all my pride

see, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.

oh the wonderful cross
oh the wonderful cross
bids me come and die
to find that i might truly live

which brings me to today, i’ve been thinking and praying about lent. wondering what i should do to observe this season. thinking surely there is more than fasting sweets. then i stumbled upon an interesting article (thanks wikipedia) that says “the three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigour during Lent are prayer (justice towards god), fasting (justice towards self), and almsgiving (justice towards neighbour).”

and there it is. justice. what if i spent the next forty days seeking the lord and asking him to restore my relationship with him, to restore my relationship with myself, and to restore my relationship with my neighbor!? not sure exactly what that is going to look like, but i’m excited for the journey.



To read more of Lauren's writings and learn about her ministry, visit her blog:

http://laurenedens.wordpress.com/

No comments: