Monday, April 25, 2011

DEFINITELY MOVING TOWARD MANHOOD

My oldest son turns 14 today. In reality, I've thought of him as 14 for several months now. I've even told people he's 14 more than I've told them the accurate age of 13. Sure, some of it is the Swiss cheese state of my brain these years, but it is more than just that. The main reason is that he just seems older than what his age indicates.

The last couple of years of his life have brought about dramatic changes. He truly is already leaving the childhood stage and is passing into manhood. And it isn't just his appearances, though he is now taller than both his dad and I. His attitudes, his spiritual perspective, his opinions, his manner all point to someone who is well on his way to becoming a responsible, strong, and Godly young man. His upcoming missionary trip to Peru is evidence of that.

As is our family tradition, I wanted to interview him on my blog. For me, it is a fun way to keep up with who he is and where he sees himself heading at this point in his life.

So, without further adieu, let's get on with the questions:

Uh, I hate the questions.


David! I will try not to ask totally stupid questions. Okay. Let's see.....I know! How have you spent your birthday so far?


Slept in. Had donuts for breakfast. Opened presents at lunch.


Did you have a special birthday meal or dessert?


I had ravioli for lunch with cheesecake and garlic bread.



What did you receive as presents?


TRON LEGACY, STAR WARS THE BEST OF PC, Stratego, a fishing pole, and STAR WARS models.


What are you doing for the rest of today?

BoyScouts and eating supper. Pizza rolls and corn.

You obviously picked that meal.

Yeah.

Oh, you're also having oven fries. Unless you'd rather have Sea Salt chips.


No.


Okay. Alrightee then. Next question. What are your favorite things to do right now or what are involved in?


Playing my guitar, doing Boy Scouts, going to WE WILL GO.


How do you think you've changed the most since last year?


Well, for one, I've gotten a whole lot taller. I have to shave now. And, I've grown in God thru this last year. A lot.


What are you looking forward to the most in the upcoming year?


My mission trip to Peru.


Okay, just a couple of more questions. What do you think you'll be doing this time next year?


Getting ready to go to Swaziland.


What do you think you'll be doing in 5 years?

Probably be in the military.

And in 10? Just a wild guess.


An overseas missionary.

Happy birthday, David! I truly am blessed to be your mom. I love you so much. And I can't wait to see what God is going to do in and through your life as you catch hold of the idea that the best place to be in life is where He wants You to be and the best thing you can is what He wants you to do...wherever and whatever that may be.

No comments: