Thursday, March 12, 2009

DELICIOUSLY EASY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY RECIPE

Several years ago, I came across this recipe in WOMAN'S DAY MAGAZINE. Now I'll be honest with you, my family will tell you that I am no baker. I enjoy cooking, but baking --- especially the baking of bread --- intimidates me. All that yeast and having to get the temperature and amounts just right is not a good fit for this fly-by-the-seat-of-my-bluejean-skirt kind of woman and cook that I am. But this bread recipe? It is easy enough for even me! Though St. Patrick's Day is still a few days off, I wanted to post this in time for you to purchase your ingredients and get it on your menu plan. It would go great with an Irish themed meal such as cabbage and corned beef. Enjoy!

2-Ingredient No-Knead Beer Bread

Makes: 1 Loaf
Time: 2 min plus 55 min baking
Cost: 97¢

Tips:
- Be sure the flour is regular self-rising flour NOT self-rising cake flour.
- Store airtight at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.

Ingredients:
2 2/3 cups self-rising flour (NOT self-rising cake flour)
12 oz beer, freshly opened, chilled or at room temperature

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 x 3-in. loaf pan.
2. Put flour in a medium bowl. Add beer and stir with a rubber spatula just until mixed and flour is moistened completely. Scrape into prepared pan.
3. Bake 50 to 55 minutes until top is lightly browned, sides pull away from pan and pick inserted near center comes out clean.
4. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes, then turn out on rack to cool.
5. To serve: Cut in 1/2-in.-thick slices with a serrated bread knife.

Per slice (18 per loaf): 71 cal, 2 g pro, 15 g car, 1 g fiber, 0 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg chol, 1 mg sod

http://www.womansday.com/holidayrecipes/5571/2-ingredient-no-knead-beer-bread.html

1 comment:

Karen Deborah said...

sounds good come enter my contest.