Friday, August 22, 2008

.
PRAY FOR THE RODGERS FAMILY
MISSIONARIES TO SWAZILAND
.
.
-Ben
-Susan
-Kayla
-Levi
-Trinity
.
From the Children's Cup website:
.
Lord we ask You to keep Your hand on them - not just for their safety, but for an anointing to lead the work You are doing in Africa.
.
Uphold them with strength and joy and creativity and discernment and a deep connection with others You have brought them into relationship with.
.
Be obvious to them. Bless them.
.
Thank you for praying today. I don't know The Rodgers Family personally, but after having lived in Swaziland and then visiting several carepoints, including 2 Children's Cup carepoints, in January. I have an understanding in part of what they are facing. It's hard. It's hard to be called to love a people group, that unless a miracle happens, is basically becoming extinct due to HIV/AIDs. It's not that it's hard to love the Swazi people, not at all. The Swazis, in general, are some of the most friendliest, hospitable, and happy people you could ever meet. Their smiles in the midst of such hardship are startingly beautiful...and common. And because they are so easy to love, it makes it even harder for me to know that they are living and dying as they are.
.
Susan Rodgers shared this on her blog:
.
Last Thursday I took a sick friend to our family doctor. Conclusion? She is HIV+, has pneumonia, and most likely has TB “underneath all this pneumonia.” Ugh. The Lord had been preparing me for this, yet still when the official news came, it was not easy to hear.
.
He did an instant HIV test. Reminded me of a pregnancy test in how it looked. But pregnancy tests check for new life; this test checks for a killer inside. And AIDS has done its work in Swaziland, wiping out as much as 1/3 of its population in the past four years.
.
When the doctor let us know the test results, my friend simply stared at the wall. It reminded me very much of a scene from the movie “Yesterday” (a must-see movie!). No emotion was evident on her face, yet surely there was so much going on underneath. I went over, sat next to her on the examination table, and put my arms around her.
.
She has eight children, the youngest of which is three years old. Husband is dead. My eyes burn with tears as I type this. So much suffering! UGH! This is NOT the way God meant for our world to be when He created it.
.
When I consider the pandemic of AIDS that is leaving so many orphans, I struggle with feeling overwhelmed and hopeless. Perhaps reading this is making YOU feel that way. Please read on. It does get better!
.
You see, God is in the redeeming business. He is all about bringing healing. The Bible, from cover to cover, shouts the message of His huge love and desire to buy us back from the enemy’s grasp. He is our Healer, and He is Mighty to save.
.
So many times healing is a simple act of faith away--choosing to believe that the God Who created the Universe can heal us. Of course He can. And we ask for Him to do so.
.
I talked with the Lord about this last Friday, the first day of our 40 Days of Prayer. “Lord, I know You can do anything. ANYTHING. I’ve just seen so much death, and I’m not sure why You’re allowing it. Please will You help me know what to pray for, what to believe for?”
.
He so loudly yet simply voiced in my spirit, “Healing.”
.
Yes, He is the God that heals. He is ALWAYS in the healing business. Healing may look different in each situation, but His objective is ALWAYS healing. Do we believe Him for it?
.
I share sentiments with the man in Mark 9:24 who said, “Lord, I believe! Help me overcome my unbelief!”
.
Lord, please show up and do Your thing. Please HEAL Africa. Help us believe You for it!
.
“Jesus said, “‘Everything is possible for him who believes.’” Mark 9:23
.
Thank you again for praying. Feel free to leave a comment with a prayer or thought you would like to add. If you haven’t signed up yet, send us an email to pray@childrenscup.org and let them know you’re praying.
.

No comments: