Monday, October 28, 2013

CAN'T IMAGINE


Sandra Chesterman is a missionary in Southern Africa.  She recently shared this on her blog and I wanted to share it with you here at Graceland.



Even after living here (meaning Africa) almost 6 years some days it still hits me that as much as I know about and interact with the culture, I really can't imagine what it is like.



It was a couple of weeks ago when I saw for the umpteenth time people waiting out in the rural area for a kombi "comb-bee" which is the local mini van/bus system.


But then it hit me, can I even imagine having to walk long distances to stand and wait for a ride that might come in 5 min or 2 hours or not at all that day? How would I plan my day or my life if that was my reality? I honestly, couldn't imagine.


Then, my list started to grow.


Could I imagine sleeping on a mattress or foam pad on the ground?


Could I imagine coming home after a day at a CarePoint with a layer of dust all over me and be unable to take a shower or bathe to get it off?


Could I imagine only bathing or doing laundry or dishes from water collected at a neighborhood tap?


Could I imagine being cold and scared and not be able to do anything about it?


Could I imagine not having food to eat?


Could I imagine not being able to see a doctor when I was ill?


I can't.



And I never will.

Even if I tried to go and live in the rural area I would always know I could walk away.

It wouldn't be the same.


Many of you, I'm sure, can't imagine living in Africa.


But then God took my eyes off the physical and made me go deeper.....


Could I imagine going through my life without having a personal relationship with Jesus?


Could I imagine being confused and not having the Bible or the Holy Spirit to guide me?


Could I imagine being alone in Africa, without Him?


Could I imagine living without the joy, the peace or the lack of worry because I trust Him?


Could I imagine dying today not knowing what is after death?


I can't imagine.


I am thankful beyond what I can describe, that I don't have to.


But what about you?


Can you imagine? Or is this your reality?



I'm relooking at the world around me differently. Not that I didn't think of it before but because I have let myself be distracted by the cultural and economical differences. I need to refocus on the eternal differences. I don't want anyone to not know Jesus intimately. I couldn't and wouldn't be where I am today without Him in my life. I don't want to be in anyone's face but I do want to be a better reflection of Him.


I want to be more conscious that some people live a life I cannot imagine.


I want people to know the One who is not from my imagination.

The Christ who is alive and real and loves you!

If you don't know Him or believe in Him, message me. I would love to talk.


To read more about Sandra's life and what God is doing in and through her life, visit her blog:

http://sandrachesterman.blogspot.com/

No comments: