Friday, February 04, 2011

SUPER BOWL SNACKIN'... THE QUEST CONTINUES

The Super Bowl is in just two days!!! I don't know about y'all, but I'm still figuring out what I'm fixing for the game feast. Tonight I'll be sitting down with hubby and finalizing what we'll be making so we can join the kajillions of last minute shoppers who will be cramming grocery aisles everywhere on Saturday. I'm sure our offerings will include both the it-is-so-bad-for-us-but-too-good-to-resist as well as the it-is-healthy-but-actually-tastes-good-too.

In the meantime, here is a recipe that another Five-in-a-Row homeschool mom shared with me. Gitel says, "I love this, I can eat it with a spoon. In fact, I made it for book club last night and I had the left overs this morning for breakfast on a rice cake. After that I finished it with a spoon."

So grab your spoon and get ready to enjoy Gitel's deliciously unusual and healthy, wholesome dip.


GOOD-ENOUGH-TO-EAT-IT-WITH-A-SPOON DIP


3-4 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves (do not include the bottom stems--but the skinny ones are okay)
1/2 small white or yellow onion-cut into chunks
1/2 a jalapeƱo seeded and deveined-- cut into chunks (use less if you don't like spice--more if you want it more spicy)
1/2 tsp or so of fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp or so of ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Add everything into the bowl of a food processor and process, scrap down and process some more, taste--add more lemon if you think it needs it, add salt and pepper. Process some more. Add some water (maybe a 1/2 tsp) if needed. Adjust seasoning. The texture should not be thin, it should have texture but it should also be able to spread on a cracker or be picked up on a chip.

*************************************

Thanks, Gitel, for sharing this with us here at Graceland and y'all let me know if you have any healthy, snacking options!

If you missed the first recipe in this series, here's the link: http://elysasmusingsfromgraceland.blogspot.com/2011/01/super-bowl-snackin.html

No comments: