Thursday, February 03, 2011

BOOKS WORTH BARKING ABOUT


"Old dogs, like old shoes, are comfortable. They might be a bit out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well."

- Bonnie Wilcox 'Old Dogs, Old Friends'




I admit it freely, I am much more of a cat person than a dog person. I know, with my personality, you'd think I'd want to surround myself with beagles, Labradors, and collies. Now I didn't say I don't LIKE dogs, I usually do. In fact, I've more than once mentioned to the hunky hubby that certain puppies were really adorable and would make great new pets and I love that my boys have always had dogs as companions, but for a variety of reasons (the main one, I don't like dog slobber) I prefer cats over dogs.

That said, I do love good dog books. Maybe because I can look at the pictures and read about their adventures without being licked or jumped on?

Here is a list of some of our favorites...a few of which also feature those amazing cats, too.

BERTIE WAS A WATCHDOG --- Rick Walton

HARRY THE DIRTY DOG --- Gene Zion

THREE NAMES --- Patricia MacLachlan

HENRY THE CASTAWAY --- Mark Taylor

WHERE THE RED FERNS GROW --- Wilson Rawls

OLD YELLER --- Fred Gipson

HAIRY MACLARY books --- Lynley Dodd

SCHNITZEL VON KRUMM books --- Lynley Dodd

MR. WINKLE books --- Lara Jo Regan

I've got to go for now but will try to add to this list later. Let me know what your favorite dog books are, okay?

No comments: