Wednesday, September 12, 2007



A NEAT FOLLOW-UP TO YESTERDAY'S POST

I had just written the post about wondering about people from my past when not but a few hours later I got an email from someone I knew back during my Southern Baptist Theological Seminary days. Apparently Tim has also been having the same desire to reconnect with pals from days gone by and he had googled my name and found me that way. Tim thinks that wanting to reconnect with people from our past might be a normal phase for folks our age (I'm in my early 40's) . The young adult years can be so busy and transient as people are just "getting started" in life and its easy to lose touch since staying in touch requires energy, time, and sometimes even money.

I think as we get older, we begin to appreciate those things that really matter...I know I have more and more. And when I look back over my life, some of the things that seemed so important in the past, just don't matter that much anymore. And some of those things I sometimes took for granted, like people, are what I realize more and more matter so very much.

I guess when I was young I just didn't realize how easy it was to lose each other. I thought they'd always be around. But they're not and it saddens me to think that some of those dear ones I might not ever find again.

But hearing from Tim brings hope, and I eagerly look forward to seeing who else I'll hear from one of these days.

The Internet has its downsides. We've all heard the horror stories. But I for one am grateful for the fact that its made not only keeping in touch easier, but finding those "lost" ones a more realistic thing to be hoped for.

No comments: