Thursday, April 03, 2008

NEWS UPDATE...and MY BACK IS KILLING ME!
.
My back is absolutely killing me. I was climbing up on a roof to help a local social justice action group fix up a house for a homeless family to move into and I injured it terribly.
.
Okay, not really. I was actually cleaning out my attic, moving some boxes around, in an attempt to simplify my life and find a lot of items to donate to a local charity when I pulled something in my back.
.
Uh...not that either. Sadly, it was quite mundane, NOT helps-related at all, and actually a bit humiliating. I was getting out of bed this morning and pulled my back. Sigh....you know you're getting old and you're already out of shape when the simple act of getting up does you in and puts you down for the day. Sigh....
.
Praise God for icy hot, heating pads, expired prescription strength pain killers (don't send me scolding emails...a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do), and teenage daughters who can run the household for me. Praise God, too, for a sweet hubby who can do for himself and prays for me.
.
And speaking of praying, I sure would appreciate y'all's prayers, as well. Throwing a back out of whack is never very pleasant but being the mom to copious living blessings means I need to get back in action ASAP! So prayers of healing would be fabulous. And prayers for my kids as their decrepit mom recovers would be great!
.
While I'm here and can't get up and move around anytime in the near future, barring a miracle (and I DO believe in miracles), I thought I'd give a quick news update on the family's happenings.
.
Let's see...I guess I'll start with hubby.
.
His office has recently moved into a very nice building in the heart of our city. He's within walking distance of the fairgrounds, many popular restaurants, and close enough to some inner city ministries to consider and pray about volunteering in some capacity on a regular basis. He's recently become an assistant scout master for son D's boyscout troop (they call him "Sarge") and he's also teaching the youth/singles discipleship class at our church for 10 weeks. Back before Easter, he led our cell group thru a Messianic Passover meal and then preached the sermon on Resurrection Day. He continues to love learning to play the guitar (he's sounding really good) and dreams of upgrading to his very own electric guitar.
.
14 year old daughter A is sporting a very unique, punk-girl hairdo compliments of moi! Her previous new haircut was just too "cute and preppy" and she wanted something different. So at her request, I pulled out my hair cutting shears and took to chopping. I was afraid she'd hate it but she LOVES it...and if I do say so myself, it looks pretty darn good. I told her I could become the official hair stylist for all the metro punk/emo girls. She said, "ummm...that would be about TWO girls" to which I responded, "that's perfect as that's about all I have time for". She is also now playing keyboard and singing on our church's youth worship band and making A's in science. She's PSYCHED about that! Not because she's crazy about science, but because she's not grounded for bad grades.
.
12 year old B is now playing softball. This age group is switching to fast pitch this year so she and her teammates are working hard to learn all the new skills needed for this version of the game. B is also on the church worship team. She's learning to play the drums. She's also acing science and has chosen to fast-track herself academically so she can finish her required homeschool classes early and move on to fun electives, a job/apprenticeship, and dual-enrollment at a local college.
.
10 year old son D is spending this week with his Gran Pere' and Nana Rose down on the coast. My dad owns a mostly home-based nursery. D will be helping him out with the plant business to earn money for this summer's boyscout camp. D also found an abandoned puppy behind our barn last week so he's the primary caretaker of this adorable poopy puppy named Indie. She's now around 5 weeks old and has really been a lot of fun...though the kids have found out, also a lot of work. The older four are responsible for rotating night shifts with her and they are gaining a better appreciation for parenthood.
.
9 year old P is active again this year in cub scouts. He just earned his Bear patch and is working on arrow points (at least I think that's what he's doing, I'll have to go back and edit this once I confirm with him). As one of his requirements, he and his dad have built a wooden tool box and a way cool go-cart. He'll be going to Cub-o-ree this spring and day camp this summer. His reading has really taken off and he read his first chapter book this past month...a young Indian Jones book. He's now discovered SUGAR CREEK GANG books and can often be found either reading one or listening to one on tape. Today he is sporting an awesome faux-hawk compliments of the "Hairstylist to the Punk-Emo Kids of the Sticks".
.
6 year old LG is a newly converted fan of THE LITTLEST PET SHOP. She spends scads of time playing with the wee critters when she's not playing with our real animals...including but not limited to 25 baby chicks, afore mentioned puppy, 4 kittens, a terrapin (9 year old P's pet), and various bugs. She also still loves drawing and art. She's definitely into wearing pink and does not like GREEN! This past weekend she had her first "sleepover" at her newest best friend's house. She and Lizzie giggled and talked late into the night and are already asking when they can do it again.
.
4 year old T is obsessed with our puppy. He is often found carrying her around like a baby. Its so sweet! He has moved up to the children's church class that I teach and that sister LG is still in. When he's not playing with the puppy, he's usually building train tracks or asking if he can play on the computer. He loves Dora the Explorer, Diego, WonderPets, and Super Y.
.
2 year old M is really talking as well as still singing...especially Hannah Montana songs. She told her big sister A that she was going to be Hannah Montana and marry the Jonas Brothers (all THREE?!?!?). Girl's not afraid to dream big, is she? One of the things she loved about Easter this year were the bright colored plastic eggs she got when the homeschool group had its annual egg hunt at a local nursing home. She would play with them for hours at a time. Wherever I was, she'd come and plop herself down and arrange the eggs one by one in patterns. She also loves getting M&M's when she goes potty...I know, I know...TMI...but you fellow parents out there will SO relate....and taking walks with Mommy.
.
My Grandma Mc is recovering from bladder cancer surgery and facing another one in a couple of months. The kids and I went down to see her in Florida and spent time with my mom who is taking care of her. If you think about it, please pray for both my grandma and my mom. While there, we took advantage of the opportunity and visited the local aviation museum. The kids had a great time and I had to promise them that we'd go again with Daddy and spend much more time next visit.
.
And me? Well, you already know what's up with me but I'll summarize it for you readers who might not have frequented my blog before. I'm still processing what God showed me in Swaziland and is continuing to show me. Still trying to figure out what He wants me to do with this passion for the Swazi people that some days is overwhelming and still leaves me in tears. I'm still making my GraceWorks jewelry and using the proceeds to benefit various ministries primarily ones that help out orphans and widows in Swaziland. We, as a family, are praying about the direction that God wants us to go in ministry-wise. And hubby and I are coordinating a "Summer of Significance" for our church youth and their families. We will focus in on ministering to the "least of these" in our metro-area such as parties for children at a shelter, participating in a worship service at a homeless church, and ministering through music at local nursing homes. The purpose is two-fold: to show the love of Jesus and to change our hearts and lives so we get away from just living for ourselves and instead learn to live a life that is other-focused. One of my main hopes for the summer is that the youth and their families will see that God can use ordinary people in extraordinary ways when we're just willing to live out what we say we believe.
.
We appreciate so much all of your prayers and expressions of support. The people God has put in our lives truly are one of our most precious treasures.
.
**********************************
.
BTW, the drawings are still open for a free book and a custom-designed bracelet. Just click on the links:
.
.
.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a jam packed post full of all kinds of information! Makes me miss y'all all the more!

I am praying for you and your back. Ugh. Do I ever know what a pain that is!

Elysa said...

UGH...a literal pain, alright!

And I miss you, too, dear friend!!!!!

Rhonda Jeanne said...

Sooooo sorry about the back pain! I won't send you scathing emails about the pain pills if you send me some pills! (HA! That's a joke. sort of.)

Karen Deborah said...

Oh I'm so sorry. After having 9 weeks of acute back pain you really have my sympathy. Yoga and my chiropractor finally got me out of pain. I was ready for surgery, it was bad. Get some pain pills and muscle relaxers.

Stephanie said...

I want to see A's punk haircut...PLEASE