Thursday, September 14, 2006

A PEACH OF A RECIPE

I love to cook and I love to create while cooking. A year or so ago I came across a recipe in a Southern Living cookbook that was good, but it wasn't a perfect fit for my family's nutritional needs. It included a good bit of refined sugar and other ingredients that we are trying to avoid. So I tweaked it here and there and created a dish that tastes just as good as the original but I can feel better about my family eating.

So many people have requested this recipe that I decided to go ahead and post it here on my blog. The dish is similar to sweet and sour chicken or pork in its taste but without the deep frying and with more nutritional impact. If you decide to give it a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as my kids do, though I will be honest and admit that one of my favorite families in the whole wide world has deemed it to NOT be one of their favorite recipes in the whole wide world. Oh well...I'll keep the recipe AND my friends. Great minds might think alike, but there's no predicting where taste buds are concerned! ;)

Happy Eating!

PEACHY PORK PICANTE

2 lbs of boneless pork, cubed (you can also substitute chicken which I usually do)

Cumin

Chili Powder

Garlic Powder

2 tablespoons of olive oil, safflower oil, or other "good fat" appropriate for medium/high heat cooking

1 cup of ALL-FRUIT or JUST FRUIT peach preserves/jam (if you can't find peach, apricot works just fine)

1 16oz jar mild salsa

Hot cooked rice (white, brown, or a combo of the two)

Sprinkle the meat generously with the 3 spices. I'd do about equal amounts of chili and cumin and a little less of the garlic. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook. Stir constantly until browned/cooked on all sides. Stir in preserves and salsa; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.

4 comments:

Drewe Llyn, Girlfriend's Mentor said...

I thought the peachy pork picante was really, really, good. But...well, I don't want to stir up old wounds. *grin*.

Elysa said...

Poor Drewe Llyn. Sometimes our families just don't "get it", do they?:)

So do they want to try my PEANUT Stew next time?;)

And then of course, there's the recipe for MONKEY GLAND sauce from my days in Africa.:D

Drewe Llyn, Girlfriend's Mentor said...

Monkey Gland Sauce. Hmm? Maybe you can bring some to the next homeschool party. If it doesn't look too bad or smell too bad I might try it. (As long as you bring M & M's to wash it down with. LOL!)

Elysa said...

But where to find some monkey glans in Mississippi. Hmmmm....