Wednesday, September 13, 2006

HOMESCHOOOL MEME FOR HOMESCHOOL MOMS

Okay, I am SO new to this blogging thing that I don't even KNOW what a "meme" is, but a sweet Five-in-a-Row Mom "tagged" me to answer these questions so I'm trying something new. Hope the homeschooling things that have helped me help someone else!

1) ONE HOMESCHOOLING BOOK YOU HAVE ENJOYED: A CHARLOTTE MASON COMPANION

2) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT: My local public library system...especially the folks at the Richland Branch.

3) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH YOU HAD NEVER BOUGHT: I never bought a stinker, just some that we ended up being too busy to use. Oh, there was one reading curriculum that I bought at the beginning of my hsing adventure but it turned out to be WAY too confusing to use. I don't even remember the name of it now.

4) ONE RESOURCE YOU ENJOYED LAST YEAR: SPELLING POWER (though my oldest girls weren't "enjoying" it too much...but then again, they DID win 1st and 2nd place in the hs group spelling bee and they DID enjoy that!

5) ONE RESOURCE YOU WILL BE USING THIS YEAR: Our wonderful support group, THE FLORENCE-RICHLAND HSERS. We've been a part of this hsing fellowship for 7 years now and it just keeps getting better and better. I have learned so much from these ladies (and a few men, too) and their families and the interaction we have enrich our homeschooling experience more than I can ever say. Whether its organized activities such as science fairs and field trips, or just having a group of folks I can turn to for advice, I don't EVEN want to think about how hard it would be to homeschool as a "lone ranger".

6) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY: The A&E version of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Hey! That covers literature, history, & social studies, ;)

7) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH EXISTED: A high quality, general interest (not a science or "schoolish") homeschooling magazine geared towards children and one for teens. Something such as the AMERICAN GIRL magazine. If anyone knows of one, let me know!

8) ONE HOMESCHOOLING CATALOGUE YOU ENJOY: I used to rate ELIJAH PRESS as my fave catalog but they no longer do a paper version. I would say that its tied between CHRISTIAN BOOK DISTRIBUTORS Hsing version and VISION FORUM's catalogs.

9) ONE HOMESCHOOLING WEBSITE YOU USE REGULARLY: Five in a Row Boards (The FIAR curriculum is also excellent!)

No comments: