Tuesday, January 25, 2011

OPPOSITES ATTRACT...

...BOOKS THAT THIS HUSBAND AND WIFE BOTH LIKE.

Folks that know us in real life can testify to the fact that my hubby and I are very different. Over the almost 20 years of marriage, we've rubbed off on each other a bit and have smoothed away some of the differences, but over all, we're still pretty opposite in many ways.

He's an introvert, I'm an extrovert.

He's task-oriented, I'm people-focused.

He's strong, I'm a wimp.

He's a hard worker, I'm fairly lazy.

He's self-disciplined, I'm self-indulgent.

He's a former paratrooper and green beret, I'm a former preschool teacher and mental health case manager.

He's an engineer, I'm a stay-at-home-mom-and-homeschool-educator.

He's a native Californian, I'm a Southern Belle.

He's excels at math and science, I'm prefer art and music.

And if you know anything about the Myers-Briggs Personality test, he's an IN/STJ, I'm an ENFP.

But despite all our differences, we do have a lot in common. We both are followers of Jesus We both are committed to serving in Swaziland. We enjoy traveling and learning about other cultures. We love our big, crazy family. And we both love reading...a lot.

Of course, opposites that we are, our reading tastes are usually very divergent. But over the years, we have come across books that the both of us have liked.

Here are some of those mutually admired tomes:

CRY THE BELOVED COUNTRY --- Alan Patton

IRRESISTIBLE REVOLUTION --- Shane Claiborne

ZORA AND NICKY --- Claudia Mair Burney

FOUR SOULS: A SEARCH FOR EPIC LIFE --- Sklar, Medefind, Peterson, Kronberg

THE GREAT DIVIDE --- T. Davis Bunn

THE LIST --- Robert Whitlow

THE MESSAGE --- Eugene Peterson

JERUSALEM VIGIL --- Brock Thoene

THE EMPEROR OF OCEAN PARK --- Stephen L. Carter

THIS PRESENT DARKNESS and PIERCING THE DARKNESS --- Frank Peretti

THE VISITATION --- Frank Peretti

THE LAST JIHAD --- Joel C. Rosenberg

BABY BLUES --- Rick Kirkman

SHADOWMANCER --- G.P. Taylor

DEEP BLUE --- Tom Morrisey

ARENA --- Karen Hancock

THE RECKONING --- James Byron Huggins

THE ONLY ROAD NORTH --- Eric Mirandette

THE HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY --- Suzanne Collins

INTO AFRICA: THE EPIC ADVENTURES OF STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE --- Martin Dugard

TEA WITH HEZBOLLAH --- Ted Dekker and Carl Medearis

So what books do you and the man in your life agree on?

No comments: