Friday, March 21, 2008

A TRULY GOOD FRIDAY

I have lots of good Fridays...days that I spend with my kids doing fun things, days spent with my friends chatting at the park, days I get to go on dates with my hubby. But today is an especially good Friday. Because on this day every year, a day is set aside that is truly good not because of things we might do, but of something done us.

On this day, we who are followers of Jesus, remember the ultimate act of love.

John 16-18: "This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.

I thank God that I'm now clean. I'm free. I can be in a right relationship with the being who is not only the creator of the entire universe, but the precious Father who loves me. And because of that, I can live a life of peace, hope, and joy....all because of amazing grace.


See grace isn't just something we mumble over our plates before we eat. Grace is more than just the smooth way ballerinas dance. The grace I'm talking about God's unmerited favor. While we were yet sinners...while we were liars, manipulators, cheaters, addicts, abusers, and all other manners of rotteness, God still loved us. And after we accept His precious gift of redemption, of being made new, He continues to daily fill our lives with beautiful, loving gifts that we in no way deserve.


I don't deserve His goodness. If you could see the real me you'd see how much I don't deserve His unconditional love, audacious acceptance, and untold blessings. But He loves me anyway...simply because I'm His.


My prayer this Good Friday is that if you already know His grace and salvation that you'll grow deeper in love with Him.

And my prayer for you this Good Friday if you aren't in relationship with Him yet is that you'll turn to Him. He loves you so much. He is your Father and you are His child. He wants to share all He is and has with you....not because you're good, not because you can work hard to earn it, but just because He chooses to love you and make you His beloved one.

No comments: