Monday, April 20, 2009

SONBEAMS

My friend Drewe Llyn is a gifted writer. I'm often blessed by the poems she gives as gifts, the articles she writes about her life in ministry, and her blog posts at PALMS OF HIS HANDS. Recently, I read this one and she was gracious enough to let me share it here at Graceland:



In the car with time to spare, each of us was carefully dressed and ready for church. The cloudless sky and bright sunshine were welcomed reprieves from the past week of storms. A sunbeam splashed across my lap as my husband backed out of the drive. It was a gorgeous day.

While smiling down at my personal sunbeam, I noticed dozens of white cat hairs and fuzz all over my black skirt. My smile faded. Surely they weren’t there earlier. Where did they come from? Well, obviously they weren’t clearly visible in the artificial light of the house, but in the sunlight all was revealed. I brushed them off the best I could learning a valuable lesson: “Be sure to keep a lint roller in the car.”

Ok, so I learned more than that.

I was reminded that when I check my attitudes, habits, and spiritual growth in the artificial light of what others do, I’m sure to miss something and feel pretty smug about myself. But when I stand in the Sonlight, I see myself as I really am. All my imperfections are revealed. They cannot be hidden. Jesus doesn’t even attempt to brush my faults away. He gives me a new garment without spot or wrinkle; He clothes me in His perfection. He clothes me with Himself.


“…for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” ~ Galatians 3:27

(c) Drewe Llyn Jeffcoat 2009

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks - I'm a Drewe fan, too, and follow her blog. That was a great thing to post ~ Allison

Elysa said...

Thank you for your sweet comment, Allison. Drewe Llyn and her family were brought into our life, I'm convinced, as an amazing gift from God several years ago. She has lived within just a few minutes of our home until quite recently and her youngest daughter is my 2nd daughter's best friend.

She is a true blessing!