Monday, July 26, 2010

CONFESSIONS OF A FUNDRAISER

As you might know from a previous post, we are trying to help raise money to buy medical supplies and needed items for the children of the Beveni Carepoint in Swaziland. Our sponsor group coordinator wrote this post over the weekend on her blog:

I confess. Tonight I Googled, “How to get people to give to online charity”

I’m ashamed. I really was trying to avoid resorting to guilt & pressure (as you’ll read below). And that’s why I did it.

Partly.

I genuinely DO want to see people open their hearts & pocket books –

Wait back this blog train up – did I just say pocket books? I must have suddenly warped to 1953 when women called purses pocket books. Let me start that thought again!

I genuinely DO want to see people open their hearts and purses so that our 132 Beveni kids in Swaziland can have basic medicines, first aid supplies, clothes & paper for school! In fact, it’s been nearly all I can think about since last Tuesday. How can we get the kids the items they have need of?

God opened the doors through connecting us with Kids Against Hunger who is sending a shipment of food to Swaziland very soon. One of our sponsors is working diligently on our behalf to also ship medicines & other supplies to our Beveni kids, on that same container. It should arrive just before we do, in mid-September.

Then God sparked the idea for Beveni Outpouring 72. $7200 in 72 hours for Beveni kids’ supplies. And the needs are being fulfilled! Our Beveni Team (you’re on the team, too) is raising the money to buy the supplies….

Just not as fast as I’d hoped.
At some point today I got worried… (just before I googled) What if we don’t get enough money to send the supplies? And I began to formulate all kinds of cockamamie ideas (can I say that on a Christian blog?) anyhow…


* Maybe God said 1072 – $1072 in ONE THOUSAND SEVENTY-TWO hours.

* All my friends clicked “HIDE” when they saw I was doing an online fundraising campaign.

* And the worst – It can’t be done. Who can raise $7200 online in 72 hours? I asked God, “What am I missing?”

God Googles, right?

So what did Google say?

I found out that people give for several reasons.

* Guilt – not gonna go there.
* Pressure – here either.
* Happiness – happy people give more. It’s a fact. Trust me. I don’t know what site I read it on, but a study was conducted sighting that happy people are 40% more likely to give than those who aren’t happy. Duh.

If you feel guilt-ed or pressured into giving to the Beveni Outpouring 72, don’t do it. Did you read that right? Yep. Don’t give if you feel a measure of guilt or pressure.

I know, I can’t believe I said it either. I may regret it later.

Give Because

* It’s there is a need that you can fill – money goes FAR in Africa!
* You have a happy heart!
* You want to spread that joy to others!

If you haven’t read the specifics of the Outpouring 72, please do so at the Beveni Outpouring 72 Announcement Post

Otherwise, if you want to GIVE from your happy heart, GIVE HERE! THANK YOU! That’s the link to Children’s HopeChest Ministry’s online giving form. In the notes section, be sure to write BEVENI SUPPLIES. Then drop me an email & tell me how much you gave, so I can add it to the grand total. danielle.moms4change@gmail.com

The truth is I believe (now that I got through the worry) we will hit the mark of $7200 by 8a.m. Monday morning. But even if we don’t, God will use the money that has been given and multiply it in the lives of the givers & the Beveni kids. I know that for certain…

…without Google’s help!

Shine On Sisters!

Danielle

Ps. I hope this doesn’t take away from those who have given during our first 48 hours of the Beveni Outpouring 72. I’m so thankful that you stepped up to the plate! I just had a few discouraged hours and decided to blog about how God got me through it! :)

**********************************************************

It is Monday morning and we haven't reached our goal yet, but even though the 72 hours are now officially over, it is not too late to donate towards this cause. Any contribution, even ones that seem small, will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance from me, our group, and the children of Beveni Carepoint. Your donations mean so much in their lives.

No comments: