Tuesday, June 01, 2010

READY TO BE RADICAL!

As my regular visitors to Graceland know, 4 years ago God started shaking our world and through a series of events and books and meetings, we are where we are now. We are seeking to live our life in a way that is totally sold out for Jesus no matter the cost. It hasn't happened over night, but bit by bit He is taking us to a new place in our lives...spiritually and geographically.

Monday night I was at the local Barnes and Noble Bookstore and picked up a book with a bright, eye-catching, orange cover. RADICAL by David Platt is indeed that. He was on his way to be a very young pastor of a very big church in Birmingham, Alabama, when a missions trip to Asia changed his outlook. After meeting with Christians and church leaders who were following Jesus in a radical way, it impacted the way he saw Christianity and he could no longer follow the status quo in church life, either.

I've only made it half way thru the first chapter but it has already grabbed me and I can't wait to get back to a bookstore and devour some more. Here is one quote from the book to give you a tiny taste that delivers a big impact:


''We were settling for a Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves.''


See what I mean? BIG IMPACT! And what sad truth about the state of most American churches and those of us who call ourselves Christians. I already know that this book is going to make me look even harder at my life and the things that I have allowed to keep me from being radically sold out for Jesus.

No comments: