Thursday, June 12, 2008

DETAILED UPDATE ABOUT PAT
.
A couple of days ago I blogged about Pat. A former homeless woman, she was facing possible eviction from her present home. Jeff Goins, of Adventures in Missions and The Eugene Project, sent out a plea on her behalf. Yesterday, I received an update from him:
.
The Church amazes me... seriously. Yesterday (see: Save Pat from Homelessness
), I put a need out there for a friend named Pat who has cancer and was about to be evicted from her apartment. I didn't do much but send a few emails, contacted a group via facebook, and posted a blog. But those people told their friends, and within 24 hours of communicating the need, we've already met and exceeded the necessary amount to save Pat from homelessness!
.
At first, I was afraid to ask for money, but then I realized that many people are looking for worthy causes to give towards. As an example of this, one person responded within minutes of my sending an email:
.
"We have some leftover tithe money that we haven't gotten around to giving and we've been looking for opportunities to bless an individual, rather than an organization - this looks like the perfect opportunity. "
.
It just goes to show you that most people in the Church really do want to help. They just need to be made aware of a need or find someone to help. A blog reader asked me if they should give money to me or donate it to AIM, the nonprofit ministry that I work for. I responded, "No, that's not necessary. This isn't anything institutional. It's just people being the church."
.
One of my friends told me how hard it is to find legitimate cases of true need like this one. I agreed that there are some people out there looking for handouts or free rides, but I've also learned this past year that we all need to be more sensitive to the needs that exist in our communities. There are so many opportunities to give more, love more, and share more. I count these opportunities as blessings, because they challenge me to incarnate the compassion of Christ and step out of my personal comfort.
.
I called Pat last night to give her the good news, and she cried. She wants to eventually pay back the money, and I said, "No, we don't want that. This is called 'grace,' and it's just a shadow of the love God lavishes on his children." I am humbled by those of you who have so generously responded to Pat's need. One person shared this:
.
"I think you're right... most people do want to help if they know where to help. I'd like to think that I was generous before, but I did a short trip to Swaziland in January... It pretty much turned my life upside down. I'm just now learning what it is to life a life with open hands, seeing Jesus in the faces around me (or on the other side of an email). I went to the bank on my lunch and picked up a money order, so I'll be popping it in the mail this afternoon... It's for $100 USD."
.
I stand amazed. Thank you all. You're welcome to continue sending money that will be put into a checking account that Pat can access in cases of emergency. All of her medical bills are being covered, but as of right now, it appears that her living expenses for this next year will be a big challenge. I'm currently researching ways to help her get back onto her feet, so please keep that in prayer and email me at jeff.goins@gmail.com with any suggestions you have.
.

No comments: