Tuesday, November 21, 2006

SO MANY REASONS TO GIVE THANKS!

Thanksgiving is my husband's favorite holiday. He loves the rich history behind it, the great food, the gathering together of family and friends, the fact that it is one of the LEAST commercialized of the holidays, and the unique purpose of giving thanks to God. Its not about buying stuff or "what am I gonna get". Its about simply being grateful and realizing how abundantly rich our lives truly are. Its about embracing those we love as the most precious treasure God has given us.

This Thanksgiving, I wanted to take the time to list some of the things I'm most grateful for. My life has been so tremendously blessed that I'm sure I'll leave out many, many of the gifts I've rec'd, but its a start. And hopefully as I list these blessings, it will help me grow in contentment and peace.

So as the old timey hymn goes, I'll count my blessings and name them one by one:



  • A husband who is loyal, hardworking, honorable, intelligent, Godly, brave, and goodlooking to boot!
  • SEVEN beautiful, talented, precious children
  • Parents who loved me and sought to give me the best in life including teaching me about God's love and helping me find HIS will for my life
  • My brother Edward and all the fun times we had as children
  • Beth, we may be cousins by birth, but we're sisters at heart
  • Roy, Sally, Vers, and Rose...brought to us thru marriage, joined to us with love
  • My extended family...grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, etc.
  • A house with running water, electricity, and modern appliances
  • Beautiful, natural surroundings in which to raise my family
  • Good health
  • A good college education---and the great friends and memories I have as a result
  • Restoration Church and the people there who are becoming our spiritual family
  • Our homeschool support group---what a great group of parents, grandparents, and kids
  • Mrs. Ine Phillips, my first grade teacher who taught me to read and opened a world that I still love escaping to
  • Two years spent in Swaziland, Africa that changed my life
  • God's amazing GRACE
  • The Five in a Row Homeschool Family
  • My husband's job and good bosses over the years
  • The Troubadour sisters...the spark still warms my heart
  • Denise Gregson and my time spent with her family in Mass. this fall
  • My "old" friends who are still dear and close to my heart despite time and distance
  • My "new" friends who brighten my here and now
  • Caring neighbors
  • Dependable babysitters
  • Loving and committed teachers in our church's children's ministry
  • Freedom, opportunity, and prosperity as an American citizen

And now for the "icing" that isn't necessary but sure makes life sweet....I'm thankful for:

  • Scads of pet cats
  • Our faithful and gentle lab
  • My silly duck
  • Silver toenail polish
  • Internet, blogs, email, and my Five in a Row boards
  • BOOKS!
  • M&M's
  • PoPcOrN
  • A great local library
  • Rootbeer
  • A new coat...the first new on in over 16 years!
  • Rootbeer
  • Autumn leaves
  • TexMex food
  • Target ;)
  • Jane Austen
  • Rooibos tea
  • Krogers!
  • Talk Radio
  • Amazon.com
  • Fluffy hair
  • Lipstick
  • Dates with my hubby
  • Toe socks
  • New, black boots
  • My digital camera
  • Scarves
  • Starlit nights
  • Playing in the snow
  • Hotdogs cooked over a bonfire
  • Crisp, fall mornings

Okay, so I could go on and on and ON, but I'll stop for now. The song says "count your blessings name them one by one" but if I really listed every good thing in my life, I just don't think I could count that HIGH!

Praising God for all HIS gifts this Thanksgiving....for every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!

No comments: